In honor of the first day of fall, here are 5 tips to remember to boost the immune system and lessen the stress response during this seasonal change:
1. Expose yourself to the sun for at least 15 minutes/day (darkness is a stressor on the body).
2. Stay active (tip: going on a walk outside for 15 minutes will also expose you to the sunlight that you need and boost your mood).
3. Rest, not just at night, but throughout the day. Take a break for a few minutes, at least 3x/day, to calm the mind and the body, and just breathe.
4. Eat root vegetables (carrots, potatoes, beets, squash, pumpkin, etc.). These are grown underground, so they have their own powerful immune systems to fight off microbes and other bacteria. (Note: like any other carbohydrate, these must be eaten in conjunction with a protein and a fat to lessen stress on the body).
5. Start your morning off with room temperature lemon water. You can squeeze an organic lemon in one, 8-ounce glass of quality water (up to 1 tablespoon of lemon juice), and drink it on an empty stomach. This will make your HCl, or stomach acid, better able to kill off bacteria. Feel free to also add in ginger root, cayenne pepper, and/or coconut oil for an added boost.
6. Have fun. Do something every day that makes YOU happy. Too often we do for others, and not enough for ourselves (shout-out to the moms out there, especially). Never underestimate the healing power of enjoyment in life.
As always, what helps resist sickness and disease the most is whole mind, body, spirit wellness: to eat well, move well, rest well, play well, think well, and act well. For help in any of these areas, don't hesitate to ask me :)